Brittany's Reviews > All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps

All There Is by Dave Isay

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read on February 27, 2012

Stories from Story Corps kept popping up in my Facebook feed, so I decided to give this book, collected stories from the project, a try. I'm really glad it did.

Each story is very short. Each is the result of a 40 minute interview between two people. Story Corps is an oral history project, and this book focuses on romantic love. The book is broken down into three sections: "Found," "Lost," and "Found Again."

The stories are wonderful, interesting, and sweet. They profile the people, but also paint a picture of the time period. They tend to veer a little bit toward the heart-rending, probably because some of Story Corp's grants focus on people with life-threatening conditions and those remembering 9/11. One story in particular, the last in the "Lost" section, was one of the most difficult things I've ever read. (And then read again, aloud in between gulps and sobs, to my husband).

It's wonderful to read all these different love stories (a bit like those little interviews in When Harry Met Sally).

I highly recommend this book. (I also highly recommend tissues for the "Lost" section, though I hasten to add that most of the stories in the book are not tear-jerkers.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All There Is.

02/27/2012 page 61