Jen's Reviews > Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

F 50x66
Jul 15, 2008

Although often cited as a controversial author/ speaker, I have drawn numerous inspirations through both Bell's spoken and written word. While others shiver at the idea of meeting people where "they are at" instead of molding them into good little Christians, I believe Bell is right on with his vision. Jesus didn't wait for people to learn the creeds and memorize the Torah, No, he went out... to thieves, to poor fishermen, to liars, etc... and showed them, through action, how their world could be changed. I believe that Christianity would be a lot more accepted if there were more of us that were willing to break free of the church walls and learn to question and understand our faith and why we believe and put it in action in day to day situations.
I highly recommend all of Bell's books and his Nooma video series. I don't care why all the specifics to his theology might be, all I know is that he is reaching people with a truth that isn't watered down and people are drawn to Jesus through that. Isn't that all that matters?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velvet Elvis.