Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: ya-contemporary
Read in February, 2012

When I read the synopsis for this book, I was totally intrigued. When I started reading this book, I was somewhat disappointed. By the time I finished this book, I was melting from adoration.

It took me half the book to warm up to our narrator, Jo. I’m not even going to mince words: Jo annoyed the crap outta me for a good while. I felt like too much time was spent with her talking about the “papping” world (every time she said “pap” my mind went to an icky, not so good place). I wanted to know more about Jo the person, not the paparazzo. It took some time, but Jo finally let her true self shine through. I have to commend Allison Rushby of her writing of Jo. There were so many layers to this girl, and I feel like I should be chastised as a reader for not realizing there was more simmering under the surface of this character. I wrongly wrote her off too quickly, and for that I apologize.

By the time I was 1/3 through this book, I was positive I was sure I knew what would happen. In fact, I was actually penning the review in my head (it wasn’t that wonderful). Then this huge … twist happens that I swear I never, ever saw coming. Totally threw me for a much needed loop, and after that I was gone. I became completely engrossed by this book. I hate not being able to tell you what the twist is, but that would completely ruin the best “OMG” moment in the novel. It’s jaw-dropping worthy, trust me.

Rushby has written a fun, witty, and quick-paced novel that kept me on my toes. It was a great, read-in-one-sitting type of book. Definitely a deliciously guilty pleasure read. Check this one out, and be prepared to fight off urges to go camera shopping!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting Stars.