Pia Jensen's Reviews > Alamut

Alamut by Vladimir Bartol

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: fiction, wish-list
Read in February, 2012

I really just found this book by researching a lot on the Assassin's Creed universe, and gave myself the assignment of reading it, since the first of the games should be very much built up upon the ideas in the novel.

I must say that I was mesmerized and astonished by the book - I loved the story and I very much liked the way it was written. It didn't take me more than a couple of days to get through it, and I was almost sad when it ended. This book has a lot to offer - wonderful (and, at times, funny) poems, deep philosophical thoughts about life, action, love, tear-welling moments, and I could keep going. But mostly I was amazed of the realistic explanations of the middle east of old times: It made me want to travel there and look at all those old ruins for myself!

A clear winner, I can only give my warmest recommendations for this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alamut.

Quotes Pia Liked

Vladimir Bartol
“There's one other thing I'd like to remind you of, my dear. There've been many times when you've sworn to me that after all that life has dealt you, it was no longer possible for you to believe in anything. I replied that both life and my studies had led me to the same conclusion. I asked you, 'What is a person permitted, once he's realized that truth is unattainable and consequently doesn't exist for him?' Do you remember your answer?"
"I do, ibn Sabbah. I said something like this: 'If a person realized that everything people call happiness, love and joy was just a miscalculation based on a false premise, he'd feel a horrible emptiness inside. The only thing that could rouse him from his paralysis would be to gamble with his own face and the face of others. The person capable of that would be permitted anything.”
Vladimir Bartol, Alamut