Kirsty's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

5762052
Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: free-amazon-vine-books, historical, family-saga, all-time-favourite-books
Read from February 06 to 14, 2012

I enjoyed this book immensely. This is the debut novel for the author, but I defiantly think this will be an award winner this year.

This is the first book that I have read that has been set in Australia, and the author did a very good job of making it stand out and come alive for me. I absolutely loved the island Janus. The details of the day to day living and workings of the island were so vivid that the island almost becomes a character itself. I also liked the fact that the island becomes almost a personal haven for Tom and Izzy, it protects them from the outside and helps nurture the relationship between them and little Lucy. However, this idyllic isolation also keeps them from seeing that their actions are questionable, as there are no boundaries or anyone to answer too.

I liked all off the characters in the book, both good and "bad". The authors character building is very good, and you feel sympathy for all the characters as the story progress. The book is told from several charters perspectives along the way, the ones that really stood out for me were the mothers Izzy and Hannah. The love they both feel for the little girl is heart wrenching and very emotional, I found myself wishing for a happy ending for both of the women even though one is technically in the wrong.

This book did evoke very strong emotions in me personally. The sheer ferocity of love a mother can feel for a child was portrayed very powerfully, and even made me think twice about never planning to have children myself.

I simply loved this book. It was so much more than I was expecting and I can easily see me re-reading it for years to come. Highly recommended!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

02/09/2012 page 93