Danielle's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Jul 15, 08

bookshelves: fiction, danielle-recommends, classics-recommended-reading
Read in December, 2003

I really love 1984 for the ideas it put into my head at a young age about freedom, democracy, and government. I don't think anyone can argue against the potency of this book in the collective conscience of our society. For that reason alone, everyone should read it.
While I consider myself an anti-alarmist (I just don't think my life is that interesting to anyone besides myself to worry about my privacy being invaded) I think this book is incredibly valuable as a warning. It's kind of like how no one wants to think about the Holocaust, but we need to be reminded of it, if only to prevent anything like that ever happening again. So, even though the story this book tells pretty much makes me shudder, and sometimes gag, I still intend to re-read it every few years. Incidentally, in reading "Life and Death in Shanghai" (a true story about the Cultural Revolution in China), I almost had a hard time believing "1984" had been written BEFORE and not after those events. The whole thought police, double-speak thing pretty much really happened in Communist China...it's unbelievable that Orwell could be so dead on.
From the writing perspective, I would consider this book so-so. There were some brilliant moments, but on the whole I had a hard time sympathisizing with the protaganist, and I just wasn't wowed by the writing.
Anyway, everyone should read this book, but just because of some of the content, I probably wouldn't want my kids to read it until they were older teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.