Christy B's Reviews > The Book of Madness and Cures

The Book of Madness and Cures by Regina O'Melveny

1204629
Apr 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-and-galleys, fiction, historical-fiction, italy
Read from February 20 to 25, 2012

The Book of Madness and Cures is set in the 16th century and features Gabriella, a female doctor, who sets out on a quest to find her father who she last saw 10 years ago.

Gabriella's father is also a doctor, and it was he that taught her all she knows, so she feels she owes it to him to find him. Using his letters, she plots out a course. At each stop she finds people who came across the Venetian doctor, but the farther she goes, the more distressed she becomes with the stories about him. She starts to worry for him.

With a book where the main character is traveling, it's more that likely that you're going to come across some interesting characters. Most of which you'll never see again once the main character picks up and moves on. I loved the different people Gabriella came across as she moved across Europe, people of different cultures and countries.

She meets many roadblocks along the way, and a few tragedies. All in all, I'm amazed at how strong and determined she was to keep going. A weaker person would have turned back and headed home.

The Book of Madness and Cures was a good story about a woman with a strong heart and soul, both of which she put her trust in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Madness and Cures.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I'm ten percent into this and well, I'm bored. LOL Not sure if I want to spend four days reading it. Your thoughts?

message 2: by Christy B (last edited Mar 11, 2012 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christy B Eh, it has its moments. The characters do a lot of travelling, so there's a lot of description. Not sure if that's your thing.

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt Ew. Nope. I loathe that kind of stuff.