Vidya Tiru's Reviews > Mr. Popper's Penguins

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater

Feb 06, 12

Read in February, 2012

: What is not to love about penguins? And when they are as adorable as Mr.Popper’s penguins with wonderful names to boot, that is just perfect. This book is exactly that – a perfect little book that is great to read-aloud, great for any age (I loved it) and a perfect size (not too long and not too short) - with illustrations that catch your eye, penguins that pop out of the pages, and the most endearing characters (human and animal).
Mr.Popper is a house painter who has lived all his life in Stillwater. When he is not painting (and many a time, when he is painting too), he spends his time daydreaming about travelling to far-off places. He loves reading about them as well and watching any movies he can – his favorite destination are the two Poles of the earth. One winter day, he receives an unexpected gift from Admiral Drake, an explorer – a penguin – and this penguin that he names Captain Cook – changes Mr. Popper and his family’s life. Soon, a lonely girl penguin arrives courtesy of the aquarium and this is followed by the arrival of ten baby penguins.
How these dozen penguins and the Popper family interact and act forms the rest of this book. A book which is a must-read if you have not read it yet, no matter how old (or young) you are!
Rating: A
Reading level: All ages
Disclaimer:Thank you to OpenRoad for sending me a digital review copy via NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Popper's Penguins.