Elisabeth's Reviews > The Chosen

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Jul 05, 2007

Recommended for: anyone interested in history, Judaism, forgiveness or friendship,
Read in July, 2007

My brother Matt suggested this book, and I'm very glad that I read it. (And glad that he was there to fill me in a little more on the history it brings up.) It is very well written, and enjoyable as well as educational. It helped me better understand the Jewish faith and branches of Judaism, the horror of WWII, what is unique about American Jews, and some of the conflict over the Israel as a Jewish state. Leaves you with a warm feeling and lots to think about. "The Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself. One is to acquire a teacher...[the other is to] choose a friend...two people who are true friends are like two bodies with one soul."
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen.

Dave Great book! Glad to hear your brother recommended it.

Monica I agree with your review. May I ask where in the book your quote(at the end of you review) is from(page #)?

Elisabeth sorry, Kitts, I borrowed the book from someone, and I didn't write down the page number.

Monica Oh it's all right now. It's just that I was doing a book report on it, but we have to have page nembers. But I'm done with the book report now.