Jennifer's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in February, 2012

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything new to add to the conversation about this book since it seems to be everywhere, read by everyone, and reviewed pretty consistently. The characters are not perfectly written but they are very engaging. Harbach does a good job of giving us several different narrators who all have their own distinct voice, even if some are better fleshed out than others. The baseball is interwoven throughout the book but not hard to follow for those not well versed in the sport. There is a driving plot that keeps you turning the pages.

The ending of this book did not work for me. It felt like Harbach was writing his heart out and just didn't know how to wrap it all up. He knew he wanted something dramatic, something that would bring characters together and seem meaningful..but it wasn't, and instead it rang false after so much good storytelling. And while that doesn't make it a 5-star book, it also doesn't take away from the fact that I spent all day yesterday fully immersed in Westish College. There is a lot to enjoy here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris I loved the book took, and totally agree with you on the ending! It would have been 5 stars for me other than that.

Jennifer It seemed almost bizarre and out of place with the rest of the book. Is the sequel when they are all in jail because that would not go unnoticed! (I don't want to say for what in case someone is reading this who hasn't read the book)

Chris LOL! Totally out of character, no pun intended. I felt like I was reading another book and was very weird.