Mandy's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

May 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, ebook, fiction, books-i-didn-t-finish

It's time to stop lying to myself. I am never going to finish this book. It was actually my New Year's resolution to read The Lord of the Rings. I was determined, even as I struggled through the 18-page prologue. I soldiered on through 286 pages, and I can't say I disliked it. The story itself was enjoyable. But, oh! All those people and places and battles and tribes and kingdoms and on and on and on! I kept asking myself, "Am I supposed to remember all these people/events? Is this going to come up later in the story? Should I be taking notes?" My god! I felt like I was reading the freakin' Bible!

I guess the thing that puzzles me the most, after my failed reading attempt, is this: I have several friends who profess to be Lord of the Rings fans/fanatics. Half of the reason I started reading this book was to see what they were raving about. But now I have to wonder if they themselves have even read the book! Maybe they're just fans of the movie? I have some friends who don't possess the attention span to finish a magazine. There's just no way they could have waded through 1,330 pages of this!

P.S. Before the hate mail starts rolling in, I would also like to add that I read and enjoyed The Hobbit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.