Laina's Reviews > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult-2012
Read from April 14 to 16, 2012

My rating: 5 out of 5

While reading the Harry Potter series helps with your understanding of Beedle's Tales, it certainly isn't required. There are footnotes throughout the book that offer explanations for specific terms, just in case you haven't picked up any of the series' books yet.

Take away the element of magic from the Tales and you have great set of stories that follow in the footsteps of the Brothers Grimm. J.K.'s tales explore vulnerability, love, life and loss in a new way, allowing her to keep in touch with today's youth. I thought this was a wonderful collection of witty short stories and that they added that extra special 'oompf' to Harry's wondrous world.

Summary: The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of stories written for young wizards and witches. They have been popular bedtime reading for centuries, with the result that the Hopping Pot and the Fountain of Fair Fortune are as familiar to many of the students at Hogwarts as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are to Muggle (non-magical) children. Beedle's stories resemble our fairy tales in many respects; for instance, virtue is usually rewarded, and wickedness punished. However, there is one very obvious difference. In Muggle fairy tales, magic tends to lie at the root of the hero's or heroine's troubles - the wicked witch has poisoned the apple, or put the princess into a hundred-year's sleep, or turned the prince into a hideous beast. In The Tales of Beedle the Bard, on the other hand, we meet heroes and heroines who can preform magic themselves, and yet find it just as hard to solve their problems as we do (from the Introduction).

*Fun fact: The stories are accompanied by delightful pen-and-ink illustrations by Ms.Rowling herself, featuring a still-life frontispiece for each one.

Characters:
Albus Dumbledore - older wizard who's notes on the Tales are published alongside them
Hermione Granger - witch who has provided a new translation of the Tales
Babbitty Rabbitty

Key phrases/issues: children's stories, fantasy fiction, magic, fairy tales

Related books:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby Loved this book!!! :0) My son is now getting into it too. I think it was a neat complimentery piece to the Harry Potter series.