Sara's Reviews > The Wedding Beat

The Wedding Beat by Devan Sipher

Jan 12, 14

bookshelves: 2014, adult-fiction, chick-lit
Read from January 11 to 12, 2014

3.5 stars. Gavin is a reporter for a big newspaper in New York, where he writes the popular stories about weddings, traveling to various events each weekend to cover the wedding and write up the couple. Despite continually going to weddings and being a romantic, he's single and doesn't understand why. At a party, he meets Melinda, who he falls for almost immediately, but she disappears without giving him her number. Gavin unsuccessfully tries to find her, even goes out on dates with other women, and then he's given his new assignment: write a story about Melinda's upcoming wedding.

This was a cute, easy read. The writing was simple but entertaining, and I loved the way the author gave funny quirks to some of the peripheral characters. My favorite part was when Gavin interviewed a dating guru about his upcoming wedding, and the guru basically turned the tables and started giving Gavin dating advice and telling him why he was still single. Quite entertaining. Gavin was a likable main character, with just enough awkwardness to make him believable. Who can't relate to trying to follow someone's advice, yet managing to completely mess up due to your own inability to speak the words you know you should say? It was easy to root for Gavin.

The love story was cute and not over-the-top, especially since most of the novel centered on Gavin's hunt for Melinda and hope for love instead of their actual relationship beginning. Melinda wasn't featured in the novel a ton, but she was likable and it was understandable why Gavin felt such a connection with her.

As a whole, the story was predictable (will they end up together?!??), but the journey getting to the end was fun. It ended a little abruptly for my taste - I would have liked a little more exposition about a bigger "moment" or scene at the end - but it was nonetheless a cute story and definitely an easy read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Beat.

01/12 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Kind of reminds me a bit of the movie "Serendipity."

Sara That's what I was thinking too!!