Regge Episale's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Feb 06, 2012

Read in February, 2012

So, I read the Sookie Stackhouse books first and found it nice and a little interesting that someone could right an entire series built around the trailer parks and bars and remote country villages. It was fun, I read them, done.

I was very pleasantly surprised to read this book and realize that Charlaine Harris is anything but a one-style-writer. Still in easy to read language, still patterned after the people you meet everyday, but with the upgrade to good research, a higher level of language, and all in all a different style. If I hadn't seen the name I wouldn't have recognized the work as by the same author. She's a good story teller but her real strength is in drawing us into the life of the local librarian who acknowledges her own strengths and weaknesses and fantasies:

"I suspected I was trying to fulfill the stereotype of a small-town librarian, well, I had yearnings to play other roles, too. In the movies, sometimes those dry librarians with their hair in buns suddenly let their juices gush, shook their hair loose, threw off the glasses, and did a tango."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Thanks! I had not heard of this series. It sounds good. So many books and so little time.It is on my Goodreads list. Thanks!

Regge Episale Unfortunately, I read the second book and found myself not liking some of the stereo-types. Not perfect by any means.