Sandhouse's Reviews > The Stranded

The Stranded by Hugh Howey

Feb 13, 12

Read from February 06 to 09, 2012

I was too sick to read for very long periods and ended up reading this relatively short novel very slowly (besides, it had so much nail-biting action in it that my emotions couldn’t take more than a little bit at a time!). It was a great read. Howey didn’t disappoint his readers with a flop ending to the story of the silo(s). This final novel took the characters from Wool 4 and threw them into the most impossible circumstances and it seemed up until the end that a happy ending was out of the question. But things came together, our heroes survived, they made a difference, they discovered truths and lies, they took down the despot.

What I loved about the characters in this one was that you could see them growing as persons throughout. There’s nothing worse than a Mary Sue or a character that never messes up, feels confused, struggles with doubt, etc. and there was none of that nonsense in this series.

I love the Wool series so freakin’ much it’s bordering on ridiculousness. As soon as he publishes something new I’m spending my tiny hoard of money on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranded.

message 1: by Lee (last edited Sep 01, 2012 07:02PM) (new)

Lee What did you think of the part where Jules dons the suit and goes under water? I knew something was going to happen, it just had to, talk about nail biting, that was some of the most tension filled writing I have read in a while.

Sandhouse Jesus Christ. Talk about claustrophobic. Depth, drowning, cold, cavernous. Terrible.