Elise's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 06, 12

Read in November, 2011

This book was awesome. I really enjoy Stiefvater's work and this wasn't an exception.

Much like the Hunger Games, this book plays out against a pretty bloody background but you're so caught up in the action that the gore isn't as in your face as it could be. (Having said that, it's still pretty explicit when someone bites the dust when attacked by a water horse's fangs.) I love the relationship that develops between the two main characters and also between them and their horses. This plot doesn't follow the usual "two kids fall madly in love with each other and cannot be physically separated" YA tropes, which was refreshing. I would love a sequel just to see where Sean and Puck's relationship goes and how they continue to grow. And I really just want to see how Puck makes out in the world. She's got some serious spunk.

Also, I loved that this book was based on Celtic myth. I had a bit of a hard time grasping exactly what kind of creature a water horse was and in what context this was all happening (is it present day? The 50's? the 40's? I settled on somewhere around the latter) but once I got that, things went smoothly. I guess just think of really awesome powerful horses with huge fangs and a penchant for blood. (Good enough?)

So. Probably 5 stars, but it's quite bloody so I had to take it down a notch. This isn't a novel for the faint of heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.