Coral Bachen's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

F_50x66
Feb 06, 12

Several people have told me that Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will be turned into a Tim Burton film. If this is true, I will be the first person in line! I don’t usually read eerie books such as this one because I’m a scaredy cat who gets nightmares easily, but I’ll have to admit, I had dreams of going through the loop with Jacob and the children!

How cool are those amazing photographs included throughout the story? They add to the freaky feeling of the story, especially since they are real and unaltered. I liked the pacing of the events. Even though the beginning was slow, it played up the monotony and ordinariness of Jacob’s normal life. {Spoiler Alert} I was caught by surprise when Dr. Golan wound up being the wight! Such a good twist! Sure, it might seem weird that Emma and Jacob have a fling going on considering his Grandpa, but for the purposes of the book, I liked their relationship a lot. I noticed Jacob’s voice mature as he spent more time with the “children”, so I felt, as a reader, that I was going along on their journey with them. That said, their adventures have only just begun. I am hoping for at least a sequel, though a trilogy would be awesome.

When I read this book, I tried thinking of ways to bring this into the classroom. Some of the language bumps it up to high school, but no older than 9th grade since it is still a quick and easy read. I imagined teaching this to a class with mainly boys (though girls will enjoy it as well). There are elements in Peculiar Children such as heroic traits in Jacob, the vast setting, character flaws, supernatural, etc. tht can potentially make this a “book ladder” for The Odyssey. It also has the universal themes loss of innocence and coming of age, which teenagers can identify with. Not only is this book entertaining and relatable enough to capture reluctant readers, the snippets of history embedded as well as the scattered higher vocabulary words can make for a quick 1-to-2-week unit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.