Nicole's Reviews > Kiss of the Vampire

Kiss of the Vampire by Cynthia Garner

Feb 09, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, review, read-in-2012
Read on February 06, 2012

Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/02/07/...

Publisher: Forever
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: NetGalley

I was super excited to read the Kiss of the Vampire book for a couple reasons. 1. I love the cover, something about it was just so sexy and different. (I think it’s hair envy…*grin*) 2. I’d read and enjoyed other books by Garner under her Sherrill Quinn pen name. 3. I’ve yet to read a “Nix” I didn’t love!

Nix is working a case of vampire killings for the paranormal council, and is shocked when her ex-love-of-her-life shows up as her new partner. The last thing she wants is Tobias being around and pulling her demon half to the surface, but Nix is determined to stay on track and sane.

Tobias left Nix for her own good, despite how difficult it was. Now that he is back and working along side her, he doesn’t know how he was ever able to resist her. When the case takes Tobias and Nix all over the state, things heat up between them to epic proportions. But when an unexpected player enters the game, Tobias is going to have to make a difficult choice: save the woman he loves, or go after the one person he has been hunting for as long as he can remember.

I absolutely adored this book. It came at the perfect time for me. I have recently read quite a few romance books that were full of angst and heartbreak and sorrow. I needed something that was a little less complex, a little more sweet and believable on the romance front, and Garner delivered. I was so happy to see two adults dealing with their relationship in a sane and reasonable manner. They had a second chance at love, and they both refused to let the opportunity slip away, despite any arguments or disagreements. It was the breath of fresh air that I desperately needed in my reading list.

On the paranormal front I also enjoyed the twist that Garner added to her story. Instead of the standard vampires, shifters, demons and other-wordly creatures, Garner created a world that twisted the myths, added a science fiction aspect and left me feeling as if she shook my world upside down. It didn’t feel as if I was reading the same old vampire story.

I also really enjoyed the characters. They weren’t over-the-top, they didn’t have any super-special powers that set them apart, instead they were just your average vampire and half-demon. I can’t even tell you how much I suffered along with Nix, especially with all the prejudices against her from the paranormal council for being half-demon. There were some moments I wants to give her a huge hug and tell her that everything would work out in the end.

I loved that Tobias wasn’t shy about his feelings for Nix, both with her and around others. He was quick to defend her, both to the council that snubbed her, and to the demon who tried to hurt her. He was passionate and loving and willing to go the distance to show her that he cared. It was sweet and wonderful and everything I could have hoped for. He was an alpha hero that was easily brought to his knees by his leading lady. What’s not to love about that?

All in all I loved the first installment of the Warriors of the Rift series. I’m anxious to read the follow up books, find out more about the cast of characters, and see how the overall series plays out. I wish we would have had a little bit more of a resolution to the overall series arc – things are left VERY up in the air – I’m sure that each book will only wrap up parts as we go. For romance readers who are in the mood for a sweet second chance love story with no drama and angst, with a little paranormal mixed in, you must pick this book up!
I give Kiss of the Vampire an A-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Vampire.

02/06/2012
65.0% "Love the progress in Nix and Tobias relationship. Nix, please don't freak out and ruin it. *fingers crossed*"