Mj's Reviews > Colonel Roosevelt

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

F 50x66
Feb 06, 2012

liked it

I finished this biography realizing that there is much I do not know about the early 20th Century US history. Morris tells the story of Teddy Roosevelt after his presidency which includes the story of the Progressive Party and the build up to WW I. I found some of the book difficult to follow due to this lack of background, nevertheless, most of Roosevelt's story is very interesting. The political climate of the period after Roosevelt's last term and the end of the WWI has parallels with the 2012 election process. After reading about that election, I doubts that the current election is really the nastiest in history.

Leaving the White House and attempting to carve out his role as former President was very difficult for Roosevelt and probably is for all former Presidents. The fact that TR was still wildly popular with the general public, who continued to demand that he run for President right up until his death, did not make this any easier. Morris's description of TR's life, intellect, and personality show what an impressive person he was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colonel Roosevelt.