SilverRaindrops's Reviews > Eyes Like Stars

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Sep 07, 13

bookshelves: sorting-first-in-series, ya, romance, fantasy, type-play, 238-books-in-238-days, reviewstatus-reviewed, at-tbd-pile, read-and-gave-away
Read from February 13, 2012 to September 06, 2013

Lisa Mantchev's premise has got to be one of the coolest ever. If you love plays and the world of the theatre, this book was written for you.

In the Théâtre Illuminata, characters from plays live on behind the curtain. Bertie, our feisty main character, shares their world and loves their stories. Her sidekicks are great, and her world is as big as her imagination allows it to be. (This is to say, it is effing huge, I never expected it to expand like that. But then, you never know what lurks behind the curtain, do you?)

When Bertie's world is threatened, she rises to the challenge in true YA fashion. There's romance, there's fun, there's adventure, there's danger - and yet I was a little bit bored. I'm not sure why that is; the book is relatively short (and in my edition also aided by a large font) and passes you by quickly. I am hoping it is a debut-author-thing that will pass - non-descriptive descriptions, overlong discussions, the like. Maybe I'm too harsh on it because I wanted it to be awesome, I don't know. I'll definitely read the next one (it's already on my shelf anyway), I'm just not as excited as I was for this.

What I do like though - and what may or may not put some people off - is the overall style of the book, which is a tiny bit experimental. There are stage instructions, incorporated plays, crossreferences ... if you don't like theatre already, you might not enjoy it as much - and miss some crucial points that tell you about character development, so it could fall flat.

If you love the theatre, I do recommend it - I would just suggest not to go in with hopes as high as mine had been.

----
Review can also be found at 238 books in 238 days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyes Like Stars.

02/14/2012 page 21