Rhett Ramirez's Reviews > Cathedral

Cathedral by Raymond Carver

U_50x66
Feb 05, 12

In “Cathedral”, I interpreted a simple paradigm change. A judgmental man displays his prejudice in a number of ways. These ways include racism, astonished that the man might have a black wife, and prejudice against blindness. His wife has grown fond of a blind man, and the man grows jealous.
I interpreted a sense of hypocrisy from the story. The man doesn’t sleep with his wife, and smokes pot until he falls asleep every night. He pokes fun at the blind man that he could never see his wife, when he doesn’t ever see his wife, even when he has the opportunity to.
When the man agrees to experience just a sample of what the blind man, Robert, goes through, he begins to understand what the man goes through. He tries to draw the cathedral with his eyes closed as Robert commands. I saw the drawing of the building as a dawning realization of his own prejudice, and realization of what the people he judges have to go through on a daily basis.
As discussed in my class, Carver does a play on the classic “eye opening experience”, and has the man experience his epiphany with his eye closes shut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cathedral.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Hey I have a question. Is this book explicit? Does it have profanity? Moreover, sexually explicit or have nudity in it? Thanks!