Dallas's Reviews > Cathedral

Cathedral by Raymond Carver

U 50x66
Feb 05, 2012

Read in February, 2012

“Cathedral” by Ramond Carver left me perplexed. No sooner was it until the end of the book had I understood what in fact I was reading. I was unaware, even oblivious to the title, such a perfect place to be taken into by a story. I found myself in the eyes of the narrator: a cynic, a doubter. Someone who I have been active to avoid being in my life, yet he was a character I seemed to have known my whole life. The blind man in the story was by a good account an ethereal being. As I read the interactions between these two characters in particular, I found myself defining them into my own existence. For me, I found myself discussing the bonds of faith I share with the divine. I was put back into the mind of someone unsure, or unnerved by a thought of a “blinding” existence. I was taken through the experience of exploring the banished unknown, somewhat reluctantly realizing truth in the unmeasurable.
This short story pleasantly surprised me in its message. I was enveloped in this character in all his flaws, and allowed me to check my own understanding. Whether this was a story of religion or skepticism, faith was the idea in question. And that with faith, to be blindly led is not such a bad thing after all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cathedral.