GymGuy's Reviews > Lover's Knot

Lover's Knot by Donald Hardy

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance, m-m-mystery
Read in February, 2012

I don't often give 5 stars, but this book deserved them. Truly a book that belongs on a different shelf than 90% of the other books of this ilk. Bravo to Donald Hardy.

Though Mr. Hardy appears to be a born-and-bread American, he writes with the flare of an Englishman. Maybe that's due in part to his training. Lover's Knot is written in the style of a good-ol' Shirlock Holmes story, with a touch of Bronte: dark, brooding landscapes, drippy fog, ghosts and folklore. And yet the characters are well developed. Nat to say the least is complicated. Jonathan is well developed and Rose is the evil wife lurking in the background.

I loved the epilog. I suppose rather tongue-and-cheek...as if to say, "don't take this too seriously. It's still just a tale."

I don't really want to say too much about the plot, because it would be a spoiler. Just that it's an excellent read. Perhaps my only complaint is the long back-and-forth timeline. If I put the book down, I had to do some recouping to figure out which time period I was in...but that was just me. If the author had done it differently, it would have destroyed the story. It's an intricately woven plot that takes the reader back and forth and then neatly ties it together in a "lover's knot."

As is too often the case, an author's best work is his first. I hope this is not the case here. I'm looking forward to many a good read in the future. Keep up the good work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover's Knot.