Elisa Llewellyn's Reviews > Wilder's Mate

Wilder's Mate by Moira Rogers

F 50x66
Feb 05, 2012

Read in January, 2012

The Skinny: Satira has experienced quite a bit of loss in her young life – but then, so have many Americans living in a post-Civil War era. When her mentor and last remaining member of her personal support system, Nate, is captured by a powerful vampire, she finds she’s got nothing to lose in trying to free the closest thing she has to a father figure.

Wilder is the new bloodhound sent to make a rescue attempt and Satira’s biggest challenge will be to convince the man that she’s essential to the mission and that failure is not an option. The timing of this rescue is a little tricky: If Satira and Wilder can’t get Nate free before the new moon, the building desire between them will be the least of their worries.

The Good: I loved Satira’s characterization: despite growing up as the daughter of a prostitute, the charge of a Bloodhound, and the mentee of a mad scientist, Satira manages to maintain some semblance of innocence. Her experience with Bloodhounds keeps her curiosity piqued though, and she just can’t help hoping that Wilder will want to make his way out of the lust-filled new moon haze with her. I also got a thrill out of Satira’s efforts to make Wilder swallow his tongue.

I also really liked the concept of “need” used in the development of Bloodhounds and mates. For Wilder and Satira, the need is more than just a physical pull, though that’s pretty prevalent as well. The world building is pretty awesome too: America has survived the Civil War only to discover Vampires have taken over. Now the only organization standing between humans and enslavement by the Vampires is the Bloodhound Guild, creators of the Bloodhounds themselves.

The Bad: I don’t really have a lot to complain about here – I loved Wilder’s Mate so much I harassed friends and co-workers into giving the book a look-see. We don’t really get a lot of Wilder’s history in this one, though I can’t say that’s necessarily a bad thing since Satira clearly doesn’t seem to mind. I do wish we spent a little time in Wilder’s head, though Moira Rogers do a great job of using surrounding evidence into his feelings. Overall, I think this was a well-rounded story.

The Wrap-Up: Wilder’s Mate is a very entertaining, very sexy introduction to the world of the Bloodhounds. The mere idea of a steampunk, alternate Wild West, paranormal romance was enough to get me hooked. The delivery, however, has me bargaining with myself on time and finances so I can get my hands on the next one (meaning, book 1.5: Merrick’s Destiny). Bearing my card-carrying Moira Rogers fan girl status aside, I happily give Wilder’s Mate 5 stars.

Come back on March 6th for my review of Hunter’s Prey. Maybe I’ll even have a review of Merrick before then as well.

Full Disclosure: Moira Rogers provided this digital copy as prize in an impromptu contest held on twitter. I receive zero kickbacks from the author, publisher, or marketplaces these eBooks are sold for promoting these books,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilder's Mate.