Angela Todd's Reviews > Monster

F 50x66
Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: literature-for-the-adolescent
Read in February, 2012

I really enjoyed this book! It was a different style than I have read before, but I liked it. I could picture this movie in my head as I was reading the book. The book kept me waiting for the end to see what would happen. I really wanted Steve to be innocent, and the anticipation was intense. Walter Dean Myers gave the book an appropriate title. I did not find actual evidence of Steve being a monster, but there was a lot of accusations against him making him thin that he might really be a monster. It is a story that shows the effects of other people's words and actions toward someone. Steve almost started to believe them himself. Society was corrupting the minds of not only Steve but also the jury and the prosecutors in hopes to convince them that Steve was a monster involved in this crime. I enjoyed the ending. It was the outcome I had been hoping for all along. It had to be difficult for Walter Dean Myers to write a book in the form a movie script. It was difficult for me to read because I kept forgetting who everyone was and what roles they had throughout the story. It was done well, and I still enjoyed it. Overall, I think this book was worth reading if only for the lesson about society and actions causing Steve to believe that he may really be a monster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.