Vikki's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

F 50x66
Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from February 03 to 15, 2012

i liked this book....at times i really liked it, but it never really grabbed me and refused to let go. at some point in the first third of the book i began to realize that it wasn't really about girls committing suicide, which probably puts me well behind the curve in terms of thematic perceptiveness, but i never claimed to be a brilliant critic. it is a lovely elegiac story about adolescence and love, and also about american suburbia, although the story's location in time was unclear to me and at times confusing; i spent the first half of the story assuming we were somewhere around 1960. then i noticed references from the 70s, and then the kids were listening to elton john's "candle in the wind," and i gave up trying to pin it down. that's probably a trivial point, but it distracted me to keep having to re-imagine when all this was taking place. i don't know what it says about me that, 150 pages after the first suicide i was growing very impatient for another one; i won't comment beyond that lest i spoil something for future readers. this was my first eugenides novel and i did enjoy it very much, but i probably won't run right out to get another one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.