P.A. Lupton's Reviews > A Modern Love Story

A Modern Love Story by Jolyn Palliata

Apr 19, 12

Read on April 19, 2012

I have never—EVER—finished a book with absolutely no idea how to rate it, until now. I am waffling back and forth and decided on breaking the book down into parts and averaging to get my rating. Let’s see where this takes me.

Characters: 5 stars. Robby and Luc are two of the most well developed characters I’ve read. I loved the back story (probably my favorite part of the book). I feel like I know these characters inside and out. I get their motivation for everything that happened. I understand their feelings and I felt everything right along with them. Even when I hated Luc (believe me, at times you will hate him equally as much as you love him) I understood how he could have made the mistakes he did (doesn’t mean I liked it though).

Romance: First half of the book: 5 stars. The first half of the book is probably one of the sweetest love stories I’ve read. I love that Robby and Luc knew each other from the time they were 12. I love how Luc looked out for her (the incident when she was 16 is when I fell in love with him). They were two lost kids who had tragedy strike so young and had only each other to rely on.

Second half of the book: 1 star. The second half, the romance goes to shit. The drama that takes place in the last 40% of the book is intense. It’s extreme. It’s painful to read at times. If I was rating the book on the dramatic aspect I would give it 5 stars. However, it took away from and completely overshadowed the romance at the end. I still wanted the two to get together, but I was so angry at Luc. What he did devalued their relationship for me and took away from the sweet romance that was developed earlier.

Writing: 5 stars. The book is definitely well written. I’ve read another book from this author as well (it was a 5 star read) and I definitely like her writing style. Not only that, the book is engaging. I promise you will not get bored. The storyline that evolves will evoke so many feelings as you read: grief, happiness, disappointment, happiness, anger, frustration, more disappointment, anxiety, and then back to happiness again. It’s a roller coaster ride, and definitely interesting.

So, averaging the ratings from each part leaves me with 4 stars overall. If you are looking to read a straight romance, no drama, then this is not the book for you. I will say one thing; it definitely isn’t a cookie cutter contemporary romance. If you want a gritty, emotional, dramatic story where the love is tested to the extreme, but eventually wins out in the end, then you’ll love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modern Love Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Thank you for the great review, PA! I love your honest take on it, even the parts you didn't like. And I love that you were able to connect with the characters as much as you did. :)

P.A. Lupton Thanks Jolyn. I did enjoy the book, for sure. I wouldn't say I didn't like those parts, I didn't like what Luc did. I still enjoyed reading it, and it definitely tugs at the heart strings. I think it's just that after all is said and done, I'm still mad at Luc, even though I understand, I still can't help but be angry. Good job though, I always love books that can evoke this kind of emotion (even if the emotion isn't always what I want to feel LOL)

~V~ Wow..this sounds intense...i've never heard of it before, might have to check it out! :) Great review PA!

P.A. Lupton Thanks. It is intense. Its not flowery hearts and flowers but it will definitely stir up a lot of emotions.

* Kazzy * -aka Stryker- Another fab review PA! Wasnt it just an amazing book? I totally felt the same about the characters, and got so attached to them, and for me, i think that's why my emotions were so deep and varied because of that attachment. I almost felt like I knew them lol!

I think it's very brave to write characters like Payton and those kind of storylines, because they will always evoke such raw feelings and risk scaring away the reader....I love books like this that challenge!

Even thou it was a roller coaster, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yani This book was crazy!! I loved the beginning so much, their story is beautiful, I also had a hard time deciding if I even liked it, in the end I decided I did because it was an emotional roller coaster unlike any other, I teared up in the beginning and by the end I wanted to smack Luc and throw the kindle agains the wall.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

P.A. wrote: "Thanks Jolyn. I did enjoy the book, for sure. I wouldn't say I didn't like those parts, I didn't like what Luc did. I still enjoyed reading it, and it definitely tugs at the heart strings. I think ..."

I don't know that it will make sense, but I didn't like Luc much myself during that part. ;) But I did want to push the envelope and take the reader for a ride. I'm happy I was able to accomplish that with you, and still have you liking the book at the end. Thanks again for the fantasitc review. You're the best!

* Kazzy * -aka Stryker- ...I think there was nearly a lot of broken kindles and iPads Yanie, cos I wanted to throw mine at times and I know others did too! Lol

P.A. Lupton * Kazzy * -aka Stryker- wrote: "...I think there was nearly a lot of broken kindles and iPads Yanie, cos I wanted to throw mine at times and I know others did too! Lol"

That's so true. Kazzy, I let out a string of profanities you wouldn't have believed. LOL

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheree Jolyn wrote: "Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the synopsis "Warning: Author is not responsible for smashed eReaders of any type." Think that would hold up in a court of law? Probably not. ;)"

LOL Jolyn, I was so pissed at him!!!! I wanted to hit him in the tutu too!!! What an ass, but...I was still hoping they'd get back together

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheree wrote: "I wanted to hit him in the tutu too!!!"

Bahahaha! I love it!