Kassiah's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: features-girls-who-kick-ass, high-school, ya, pub-2012
Read on February 25, 2012

3-1/2 stars.

Getting Over Garrett Delaney tells the story of Sadie, a high-school sophomore, who's been pining for BFF Garrett since she first laid eyes on him two years ago. Sadie's crushed when she isn't accepted into the prestigious writing camp that she hoped to attend with Garrett and is even more heartbroken when he tells her that he's fallen in love with a girl he meets there. She decides that's the last straw and begins her journey to independence, getting a job, reconnecting with old friends and making new ones, and trying out all kinds of new things.

While I didn't necessarily like Sadie's personality, I could identify with her. Her near-obsession with all-things-Garrett seemed realistic, and I felt her pain when she found out about the girl he'd fallen for. Overall, I'd say this was a fun story with authentic portrayals of what it's like to be seventeen.

Now for what I didn't like: I didn't like that Sadie went from being all about Garrett to letting her friends tell her that he was toxic for her. IMO, it Garrett's fault that they weren't together--she had never said anything, either, (view spoiler)

I agree with Bri's review that this book would be great for teenagers to read--it does have a great message. I just want all those girls to know that it's okay to like what you like, regardless of anyone else's opinion, whether that be your potential love interest or your BFF.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.

02/25/2012
9.0% ""You and me, we're set for life.""
02/25/2012
20.0% "Lol "That's just wonderful... Maybe next time you can wait until we all drop dead from old age." #kindaloveher"
02/25/2012
25.0% "Um....oh, Sadie! Cut your hair the way YOU like it, girl."
02/25/2012
29.0% "Uh, I think this phone call COUNTS AS ANGST, Bri!!!"
02/25/2012
33.0% ""Browsing the refrigerator for orange juice? Garrett likes the pulp style best." Yeah, he does."