Jewels Faulkner's Reviews > Breathe: A Ghost Story

Breathe by Cliff McNish

Feb 05, 12

Read in February, 2012

First of all, i've never read anything like this. Absolutely nothing horror related. So it kind of freaked me out to read it on a page. You know? It's different when you read it, not see it. Parts of the book, let me rephrase that, the whole book is really seductive. I can't really put a pinger on it but when I was reading it all I could think about is that it sounded a lot like Jaycee Dugard. Even though the children in the house weren't tortured in that way it seemed to sort of resemble that.

I might not have been able to finish this book if it weren't for the character "Ann." I think that her character goes deeper than all the others. Well, maybe besides the Ghost Mother's character. Anyways, I loved Ann so much because what she sacrificed for the other 3 ghost children was unbearable. The special 'agreement' with the ghost mother just to save the other three. The fact that part of the 'agreement' was the she couldn't feed off of her in front of the other children. The thought that she knew that eventually all of them would get their souls taken away to the Nightmare Passage but she loved them so much that she wanted to prolong it as long as possible. How she understood Oliver better than he understood himself. I could go on and on but it's getting late.

I can't really say that I enjoyed the book. I didn't dislike it either. It just left me with the chills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathe.