Janie's Reviews > The White Queen

195986
Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012-march, 2012-read, hated-it, across-the-pond
Read from March 26 to 28, 2012

Wow. This went downhill quickly. Maybe I'm in a bad mood today. I skimmed the last 1/3 of the book, but I didn't even need to do that since I knew the history. I just got really REALLY bored. The characters were flat. Edward was terrible, like the men in bodice-ripping romance novels. The best character was Elizabeth's mom. Wars, smars. Women don't read historical fiction to learn about battles. (Forgive me for the gender generalization.) The truth is that PG has written everything there is to write about the Tudors and I'm not sure that these guys are as exciting. I liked The Other Boleyn Girl well enough, but this just really disappointed. Perhaps I've been reading too much hard literature lately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Queen.

03/27/2012 page 99
03/28/2012 page 159
39.0% "I have mixed feelings about PG. While she is incredibly creative and handy with history, her writing is quite ordinary. Still, this book is a page-turner. There's nothing wrong with ordinary writing once in a while, but I previewed a page from a Steinbeck novel earlier today and remembered what extraordinary writing is. I'm reading "lighter" for the month of April but I'm already missing the extraordinary."