Elena's Reviews > Another Piece of My Heart

Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green

Jun 16, 2013

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction-novels-bestsellers
Read in February, 2012

A friend lent me an advanced reader's copy of this book, which I thought was incredibly cool.

This was a very engaging book, in fact I found myself reading really late into the night because I so desperately wanted to know how things turned out. Andi marries Ethan later on in life, and is stepmother to Sophia and Emily, who are the daughters of an alcoholic mother. Emily is on a path of self destruction and she is bringing down everyone around her....but there is an interesting twist of events, one I think the reader sees coming even though the main characters did not, and this one twist leads to many other twists.
One of the things that always bothers me with Jane Green books is her narration. I don't think she does the perspective switching as well as some other authors (Picoult comes to mind), and she goes a little too far with the omniscient narration which often takes her books all over the place. She also becomes a little ...lofty?.... and I've always found that off putting in her books, however she manages to reign that in for this one. Some of the best parts of the book I found was when you saw things from Emily's first person perspective- it made you not hate her like you thought you would the whole time.
Anyway, it's "chick lit" but with an edge that makes it not so fluffy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Piece of My Heart.

Rebecca I agree about the perspective switching!