Kristin's Reviews > Shadowspell

F_50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read from February 05 to 07, 2012

4.5 stars.

This review contains slight spoilers from the first book in the series Glimmerglass

I absolutely loved this second installment in the Faeriewalker series and I found it to be a very fun, very fast read. Dana is adjusting to life in Avalon, living in an underground bunker since both Queens Titania and Mab want her dead because of the threat she poses to them and her Aunt Grace is still out to get her while her mother’s staying at her father’s house, basically in lockdown in an attempt to keep her from drinking.

Dana’s still taking fighting lessons from Keane and trying to figure out how she feels about Ethan. Things become a bit complicated by the arrival of the Erlking, an immortal being who is bound by a secret treaty that does not allow him to hunt at will and who cannot venture into the mortal world to hunt his favorite prey, humans, yet who is given license to hunt anyone the Queens sic him on or any being that attacks him unprovoked. But when someone close to Dana does just that, it’s up to her to try to save them. That means dealing with directly with the Erlking, which can mean nothing but more trouble for Dana.

The last quarter of the book is fairly action packed and filled with more than a few surprises. I liked that Dana was put into more adult situations in this book, it kept things interesting and definitely made it easy for the story to hold my attention. But I did think her age showed with something she agreed to in the book, as she just says yes without asking for time to think it over and come to a more informed decision. However, if she did, the current plot, which I loved, wouldn’t exist. I also liked that Dana really begins to focus on using magic more, though she’s usually not too successful at doing much more than drawing it to her. Though things definitely get more exciting by the very end of the book.

Though there doesn’t seem to be too much competition between them, I’m torn between who I want Dana to be with. I really like Ethan, as he goes through some changes and seems to mature in this book, but I’m leaning towards Keane. Maybe it’s just that he’s part of a group that’s looked down upon by the upper class and can deliver a serious ass-kicking to someone without having to rely on magic. Though if your hands and feet are bound, that’s not really a skill that will come in handy. Hmm, see what I said? Torn. And I’m finding the Erlking kind of hot too. Evil, but hot.

I’m sort of bummed there’s only one more book left in the series, but I can’t wait to read Sirensong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowspell.

02/05/2012 page 90