McKenzie's Reviews > Night Road

Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Feb 06, 12

it was ok
Read on February 05, 2012

I knew as soon as I saw the cover that this was going to be classic chick-lit (I should mention that I'm reading this for my book club, not of my own volition), and I was pretty much right. One-dimensional characters, predictable plot twists, inane dialogue, atrocious metaphors and imagery, and emotionally manipulate to the point where I wondered if the author was hoping this will get made into a Lifetime movie. It hurts my soul to compare this to a literary novel about grief and loss (I recently read The Long Goodbye by Meghan O'Rourke, one of the most honest discussions of bereavement I have ever come across, and I would recommend it over this any day).

And yet, even though I hated myself for this, I found myself glued to the pages, finishing this almost 400 page book easily in one day. There's something about trashy chick-lit that just sucks me in. It's like when you order a super-rich fudge chocolate cake for dessert, and you're satisfied after a few bites, but you can't just leave the rest sitting on the table uneaten, so you gorge yourself and feel sick for hours afterwards. If you love chick lit, you will love this. If you want a book that will make you think about life and death and how to change and grow through the process of grieving, please check out The Long Goodbye instead.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Road.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Scott Freeman Oh, crap. Seriously? Can I just pretend that I read it and fake the discussion?

McKenzie Nope!! You imposed it on us, you must suffer too!

Scott Freeman I was afraid of that. It looks like melodrama. I hate melodrama. Oh well, I suspect that some will like it.

McKenzie I suspect so as well... Could make for a fun, lively discussion!

Stacy Yeah. Once, I looked up and all I said to Daniel was, "He just gave her a promise ring," and he said he wasn't reading it. I'm halfway done and in the back of my mind, I'm just trying to think of a bigger stronger word than 'cliche'. If I don't think of one, I'll just copy and paste McKenzie's review. ;)

Scott Freeman Tell Daniel to suck it up and read it. If I have to, he has to.