Paul Childs's Reviews > A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts

A Man on the Moon by Andrew Chaikin

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: history, science
Read from February 16 to April 29, 2012

A Man on the Moon was a interesting book that told the history of the Apollo program and the people that made it successful. It covered each Apollo flight in detail as well as some of the earlier space flights that cleared the way for the Apollo program. Whether you are interested in space flights, the lives of the astronauts, the history of NASA, or the geologic history of the Moon there is a lot in this book to satisfy the reader.

If there is a downside to this book it is that after reading about the first few flights, I was gripped by what was probably the case for America at the time of the Apollo program. While the missions, goals and astronauts changed from flight to flight, there was a sameness to the missions that made it hard to keep up the enthusiasm that I had as I started the book. Because of this it took me longer to read the later chapters than the earlier chapters.

That said this was a very good book. There may be other books that cover individual topics better, but none that I have read cover so much so well as this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man on the Moon.