Greg Weatherd's Reviews > Where Is God When It Hurts?

Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancey

Mar 11, 12

Read from February 05 to March 11, 2012

Once again Yancey does not disappoint. I have come to greatly appreciate his ability to approach the messiness of life from a Christian perspective that gives honor to God without sugarcoating the reality of the human experience. And suffering, whether physical, emotional or spiritual is one of the biggest stumbling blocks we face (Christian and non-Christian) as it relates to reconciling where God is in the midst of our suffering.

For me, Yancey sums this up in his own words on pg. 256, "My anger about pain has melted mostly for one reason: I have come to know God. He has given me joy and love and happiness and goodness. They have come in unexpected flashes, in the midst of my confused, imperfect world, but they have been enough to convince me that my God is worthy of trust. Knowing him is worth all enduring. Where does that leave me when I stand by a hospital bed the next time a close friend gets Hodgkin's disease? After all, this search started at a bedside. It leaves me with faith in a Person, a faith so solid that no amount of suffering can erode it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Is God When It Hurts?.