Terri Rochenski's Reviews > Call of the Sea

Call of the Sea by Rebecca Hart

Jun 14, 12

Read from May 20 to June 04, 2012

What a pleasure to read this without a week or so between chapters! Yes, I was blessed to be an early beta reader. I saw CotS in the rough. Not that it was really rough to begin with - unpolished if you will. ;)

Yummies: I thought I was caught up in the story before! The simplicity of Ms. Hart's writing makes for a super rich but easy read. No paragraph upon paragraph of exposition. Pure writing at its best - character, tension, & action. So, so good.
And what characters they are! Ellie is a short-tempered, stubborn young woman intent upon sailing the ocean.
Daniel (my Danny Boy) is a selkie and has loved Ellie since first seeing her as a young girl.
Both are so real - so flawed - so human-like that I felt their emotions, highs & lows.

This debut novel is one of those that you dread noticing the remaining pages ebb away. You CAN NOT put it down, yet the desire to do so and make it last longer is almost too much to bear.

Yuckies: There aren't any. Period.

Recommend: Abso-freakin'-lutely. Even if pirates, intrigue, and the high seas aren't your thing, you'll fall in love with this story - its characters kick @$$.

Check out my review on my blog which includes a character interview w/ the HOT Daniel O'Rourke!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call of the Sea.