Kasi Lou's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, nook, lendable
Read from February 05 to 12, 2012, read count: 1

Disfigured by the blow of an abusive husband, and suffering her entire life with severe social anxiety disorder, the widow Mary McAllister spends almost sixty years secluded in a white marble mansion overlooking the town of Mill River, Vermont. Her links to the outside world are few: the mail, the media, an elderly priest with a guilty habit of pilfering spoons, and a bedroom window with a view of the town below.
Most longtime residents of Mill River consider the marble house and its occupant peculiar, though insignificant, fixtures. An arsonist, a covetous nurse, and the endearing village idiot are among the few who have ever seen Mary. Newcomers to Mill River--a police officer and his daughter and a new fourth grade teacher--are also curious about the reclusive old woman. But only Father Michael O’Brien knows Mary and the secret she keeps--one that, once revealed, will change all of their lives forever.

The Mill River Recluse is a story of triumph over tragedy, one that reminds us of the value of friendship and the ability of love to come from the most unexpected of places.

My Review - I saw this book and decided even though I had over 300 books on my Nook that I was going to buy it (it was only 99 cents) and read it. This was all after pondering it for almost a month, can we say frugal? Anyhow, this book was pretty good. I couldn't imagine being Mary with her anxiety. I loved Kyle, Rowen and Claudia though. And the twist with Mary and Daisy was wild and I never saw it coming. The town coming together like they did and it being a small knit community made me want to live somewhere that small. There were some parts of the book that I couldn't put down but then some parts dragged. So overall I gave it 3 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

02/05/2012 page 8