Cheryl's Reviews > Touch

Touch by Jus Accardo

Feb 26, 12

Read from February 04 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

Touch is about Deznee (Dez) Cross, who seems to only be interested in partying and making out with random guys, both in order to piss off her father, a lawyer who shows little to no interest in her; which Dez thinks is because she reminds him of her dead mother.

On the way back home after a party, Dez runs into a boy fleeing from some men and, thinking it'll (surprise!) make her dad angry, takes him home. When her father comes home he knows the boy and pulls a gun on him. In response, he grabs Dez and…nothing happens, though both the boy and her father seemed to think something should have. Turns out the boy, Kale, escaped from Denazen, the company where her father works. (view spoiler). They end up going on the run and Dez finds out that nothing is really as it seemed. They find more people like Kale, people with different abilities (think X-Men) who are trying to avoid capture by Denazen. There’s a lot more that happens, which I don’t want to give away, but that results in Dez going back to her father in order to find out more about the company he works for.

I had read so many rave reviews about this book and I was so looking forward to reading it. Then, I read it. I started this book on a weekend, had 60 pages left and, three weeks later, had to force myself to pick it up and finish it. In spite of obvious similarities to X-Men, the idea for the book was good, but I really didn’t like any of the characters (except Dez’s cousin, Brandt, for some reason). I thought their names were goofy: Sueshanna, Deznee, Panda, Kale (I kept thinking of the leafy green vegetable) and, while the writing was pretty good, some of the words and phrases used were goofy (I never hear anyone refer to food as noms and I can’t believe the phrase “warm for my form” was used seriously.) and I never really connected with any of the characters.

Kale was either clueless, which was to be expected, or waaay too intense about Dez and was all angry and threatening to protect her, even when she didn’t actually need protection. And Dez. God, I hated her character (and her hair; black and blond stripes? What exit in Jersey is she from?). She totally ruined the book for me. She thought she knew everything, was super tough and could outsmart anyone with little effort. She just came off cocky and stupid to me. She lived to piss off her dad because she wanted his attention and became a bad student, drank and did drugs and, quite frankly, was a skank. She fooled around with a lot of guys and, at 16, decided monogamy wasn’t for her when she found her boyfriend (who she’d had sex with at 15; yeah, call me an old fart, but that’s too young) cheating on her. And I hate instant love in books. Kale can only touch Dez and relies on her and, well, she’s got a guy who can only touch her and relies on her. Of course, they’re going to fall in love immediately and I’m going to have to fight to get my gag reflex under control. (view spoiler)

I realize I’m in the minority here, but this book totally did not do it for me and I seriously doubt I’ll be reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch.

02/05/2012 page 110
44.0% "Gotta say, so far I'm not seeing what the buzz is about and am honestly reading it quickly so I can get it over with."
show 1 hidden update…