Amanda's Reviews > Why Gender Matters: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know about the Emerging Science of Sex Differences

Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax

5202318
Feb 05, 2012

Read in February, 2012

I've always been intrigued by gender issues and what is biological and what is environmental. My interest has taken a whole new turn now that I have a son and a daughter on the way. This book made me think a lot. It also overwhelms me to think that not only do I have to figure out how to be a good parent, but I have to do it on two levels, in one way to relate to my son and in another way to relate to my daughter.

I think the most interesting summary of the book is that by trying to eradicate gender differences, we have, in fact, exacerbated them in negative ways. Though society tells us to encourage our daughters to play with trucks, it also sells them short shorts with words across the backside. And don't even get me started on the difficulty of buying gender neutral clothes.

Though I skimmed through some of the research details, I like that they were in there. It gave more weight to what Sax was saying. The actual biological in things like hearing ability and which parts of the brain activated for various tasks was very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Gender Matters.