Ria's Reviews > If You Hear Her

If You Hear Her by Shiloh Walker

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, cops, romance, suspense
Read from February 05 to 07, 2012

This is a 3-star book that left me with a 2-star feeling. There are lots of points in If You Hear Her's favour - I liked that the book's heroine is blind and she is drawn to the hero not only because of his sexy voice, but because he doesn't treat her like an invalid. The mystery throughout was upsetting but in a dramatically effective way and questions are left unanswered by the book's close keep interest levels high.

Yet by the time I reached the end, I found myself unable to really care about the central cast of characters. Lena and Ezra are both lacking any sparkle, separately and together, and there is no real obstacle in their path to happiness (even the serial killer technically isn't an obstacle!), so when the inevitable happy(ish) ending arrives, it's all a bit underwhelming. We also meet the characters who will step up to leading roles in the rest of the trilogy and again, I found myself not especially caring about them.

The book is also guilty of a pet-hate of mine - the multiple-character POV that isn't broken out by at least a chapter break. It got confusing as to whose head I was lurking inside at times.

If You Hear Her is a diverting enough read, I was just hopeful for a little more spark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Hear Her.