Todd Huish's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Jul 14, 08

Recommended for: lovers of good comedic memoirs
Read in July, 2008

There's not a lot to say about this particular book. If you're a fan of David Sedaris, you know exactly what to expect. This is a continuation of the stories that we've grown to love over the years from him. All I have to say is that this isn't his best effort but is still really good. I guess I just wanted to laugh a little more and there were really only a couple actually laugh out loud parts. Even on his worst day, though, he puts out a hell of a book. For me, I'm not sure he'll ever make another book that can match "Me Talk Pretty One Day" or "Naked" and he'll -never- beat "Holidays on Ice". That book was the first one I discovered and, in my opinion, best book but I'm completely biased and I understand that. If you're looking for something as good as "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" or "Barrel Fever", this book is just your ticket.

Another bias I have is that I think the only way to experience his stories is to have them read aloud by the author himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.