Belinda's Reviews > Hawkes Harbor

92098
Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: horror-fiction
Read from February 05 to 06, 2012

I was so psyched when I found this while wandering through the horror fiction at the library--there is so little good horror fiction anymore---everything is zombies, and mixing classic lit with horror or gawd forbid mixing romance with horror --*Twilight* ahem... so I was thrilled to see this. I was not disappointed. I have adored S.E. Hinton as long as I can remember. I read and re-read The Outsiders and Rumble Fish and all of her books as much as I could. She was always such a consolation to me--there is something very intimate about her writing that I have never been able to put my finger on. As if she understands and has experienced nearly everything she is writing about.
This book is obviously an extreme departure in terms of subject matter but it is one of the most interesting and different novels I have read for some time.
The subject matter is definitely horror--but at the same time it's the improbable story of two lives intersecting and how that affects both parties involved. The fact that it is different than any other horror story and follows no cliches is truly amazing. I would think that would be next to impossible at this point in time, but the book manages. I found myself loving and pitying the main character, Jamie at various points despite the fact that he does some not so nice things and is not always the brightest bulb ---but he's so human and so complex you want to know how he fares. The other characters are very well fleshed out too--especially the character of Kel, Jamie's friend and cohort. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that this was an unexpected joy and I really hope Ms. Hinton continues to write fiction for adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawkes Harbor.