Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Secrets of Mary Bowser

The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-release, historical-fiction, civil-war, vine, arc
Read from February 29 to March 04, 2012

What would possess a freed slave in the pre Civil War south to risk her freedom and go back to Richmond where any person of color can be grabbed and sold?

The chance to be spy, of course...and in the process free ALL the slaves, not just herself.

Though a very long read, I enjoyed immersing myself in Mary's story the last four days. It starts with her as a child and her mother keeps telling her that Jesus has a plan for her.. (No, this isn't a religious book.)

There's so much food for thought in this book, I can't possibly cover it all... from "we in the house" to African Americans that are free looking down on those that aren't to the big question, "Why stay in slavery?" There's prejudice, there's white people that say their abolitionists yet boss servants around just like slave owners, there's a young African American woman trying to get educated and make the most of herself, realizing her place in life, risking all for family and love.

Full review is on Book Babe: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2012/...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets of Mary Bowser.

03/01/2012 page 107
22.0% "History's not so bad once you get past who's who and start learning what they did to each other. Those whites can be as nasty to one another as they are to us, if they're kings and queens and whatnot."
03/03/2012 page 210
42.0% "Really enjoying this, but it is feeling a big long."