Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Woman at the Light

Feb 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-release, historical-fiction, netgalley, kindle
Read from June 11 to 15, 2012

At first, I really loved and enjoyed this book. The narrative is very engaging. The descriptions are just right. The story is different. Can't say I've ever read a tale quite like this one. It gets major points for a unique story line.

It goes from New Orleans to Wrecker's Cave and the workings of maintaining a light house back in the 1800s to Key West to Cuba. It addresses slavery, greed, and how cruel and deceitful people can be.

When Emily's husband disappears, the story immersed in mystery as well. What happened to him? Where is he? When a former slave lands ashore, Andrew, he becomes a blessing in disguise for a woman trying to maintain a lighthouse position on her own. And they fall in love.

That part was beautiful. But when a hurricane hits, it was all downhill from there. I was aiming at a four until the last half.

Full review on Book Babe: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2012/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman at the Light.

07/03/2016 marked as: read

Diane Schlanser It was a tad hard to believe up until the hurricane but afterwards I agree it was all downhill. I simply can not envision a well-raised, well-educated southern belle living and thinking like Emily. Just very unrealistic to me.

Chris This story had so much potential but wandered through all the cliches of romance novels until it ended up being a teenager's diary. I started to laugh at many points toward the end. The story of the real female lighthouse keeper and her five children would have been more interesting.