A.'s Reviews > Does My Head Look Big In This?

Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Sep 28, 08

Read in September, 2008

It took me sometime to figure out how I feel about this book….I admit that there aren’t many books/novels that involve Muslims living in the western world, but at the same time I don’t feel that this particular book would be the best one to present an average view about Islam and Muslims.

While reading I felt that the writer was trying very hard to reflect a perfect picture about what she thinks an ideal Muslim family would look like…and to enhance the picture she also included how non-perfect Muslims would act…forgetting that what may seem perfect to some may not be accepted by others

For example, I did not like at all the amount of cussing used in this book…and I’m truly surprised that scholastic is sponsoring and supporting such language!

I can’t wait to read more books by this writer, and I hope she will use no cussing in her next one.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Does My Head Look Big In This?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Afifa I don't mean this as being rude or anything....but there wasn't must cussing in this book. It was mild compared to other books by scholastic which has absolutely vulgar language. i guess u and i just have ignore them and try to enjoy the story as it is. Anyway the writer is a religious Muslim living in the Western world, so what do u mean by not portraying a Islamic family very well? I think she did.

message 2: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. Afifa wrote: "the writer is a religious Muslim living in the Western world..."

not sure what you meant with "religious Muslim"...as far as I know religious people don't curse or cuss...not mildly nor severely

I did not read all of scholastic publications and if they do allow cussing then I'm disappointed with them.

I admire the writer's efforts yet I'm sorry i wasn't impressed...the scenario seemed a bit forced

Afifa Well...I can respect that. :) I am a Muslim myself so I know never to curse or cuss but i believe that should not be a big issue when reading the book. I admit it was a little forced. But all in all it was a good story I can relate to. Though I know a few Western-world-born Muslims who have to live through this and you also have to consider it took place at the 9/11 time. I said she was religious because her character decided to earnestly where a hijab, go to mosque and she also reads 5 prayers daily wherever she is. And she also takes in all the discrimination. A lot of Muslims don't do all that. In my school those kind of Muslims are very rare.