Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > William Marshal: Knighthood, War and Chivalry, 1147-1219

William Marshal by David Crouch
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read William Marshal.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like research. :D

But it also looks like an interesting biography.

message 2: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov While I didn't name "my" William after him, he was a major inspiration. Extremely interesting guy, I'd recommend it, and the Crouch book is apparently "the one to read" among academics.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 05, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

Your long reading list is making me feel guilty about not finishing up the last 100 pages or so of A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. I guess I'll use that as motivation to get off my butt and start reading something other than fluff. :D

message 4: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yeah, I watched you struggle with that one. :)

And, this is easily 2 months' worth of reading right there, but it'll help with my "total immersion" approach.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to treat myself to more Dorothy Dunnett when I'm done. It's like my prize. If I finish the Tuchman I can start a reread of Niccolo Rising which moves me forward into the 15th C. and all the politicking and shenanigans that went on. Much more sneaky and sophisticated. The 14th century was like a practice round for what went on later. :D

message 6: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov LOL. Yeah. I still need to read those...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Aleksandr wrote: "LOL. Yeah. I still need to read those..."

LOL. Take it on when you have no other demands on your time and can immerse yourself in a series of door stop books (like this will happen any time soon). :)

The nice thing about books is they will wait around until you are ready for them.

message 8: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov That's true. I've been meaning to read them forever, but, yeah, being a writer makes every investment of more than 300 pages a real matter of conscience.

message 9: by TracyMN (new) - added it

TracyMN LOL, infinitely interesting list, but this one is likely to be worth its weight in gold.