Magila's Reviews > The Great Brain

The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: ya-middle-readers, chapter-early-reader-books
Read from February 05 to 29, 2012

My wife loves this book series and we listened to it together. I would liken it to Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Babysitter Club, Boxcar Children, etc. If you grew up with it, you probably love it. If not, it's hard to get into it as an adult. I can imagine countless children I know who may love this book, although the games referenced and way of life are all but lost post frontier America.

What this book does have going for it is that it is true, and a memoir written for children as the audience. That makes it, and the collection of stories interesting.

I was prepared to give it three stars, in spite of my wife's objections, because it was a 3.5 star book and I thought it should be rounded down. Then, just as it was about to end, the author produced a moral in conclusion, and the whole book pulled together with an end to an otherwise difficult to decipher story arc. Although difficult to sort through, it clearly had a story arc (something 3/4 of the way through I didn't believe it had). So, because it had a moral, was written to children, a "plot," and a couple parts made me laugh, I rounded up.

Recommended to 7-10 year old smarty pantses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Brain.