Whitley Birks's Reviews > Her Highness, the Traitor

Her Highness, the Traitor by Susan Higginbotham

5193512
Jul 20, 12

Jane Dudley and Francis Gray were not good choices as narrators. Or rather, they were not made into good narrators. Both women had no influence over the plot and merely summarized events that happened outside their homes. The reader learns of the story third-hand, as our narrators have to learn of events by way of letter or rumor before they can tell them to us. Neither woman takes any initiative in putting their children on the throne or even seem particularly interested in doing so. They just drift through the book, contributing nothing. We don't even get to hear about the politics and backstabbing, just about the *events.* From reading this book, you might think loyalties changed from Queen Jane to Queen Mary just because everyone thought it would be funny; certainly no other hint of a reason is given.

About the only thing to be said is that, while they contribute nothing good, they they contribute nothing bad, either. They are wholly unoffensive characters, although they could stand to offend a *little.*

The writing is decent, although Higginbotham has a few quirks that I'm sure she thinks are period-esque and refuses to get rid of. There's nothing seriously wrong with this book, and it's an enjoyable enough way to pass a few hours, but it's just sort of...there. A waste of what could have been an interesting angle to a fascinating period in history.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Highness, the Traitor.