Sonatajessica's Reviews > The Lottery and Other Stories

The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, shorties-of-fears-and-faerys
Read from February 05 to 12, 2012

Not much other to say than this is one of the best short story collections out there. With a whole of 25 stories including the famous "The Lottery" there are almost no blowouts.
Admitted, some of these stories have a certain surprise/shock value but what Jackson truly mastered (the same in the fabulous novel "We have always lived in the castle") is to slowly put an unsettling feeling in your tummy, gently creeping into your guts to nest there. This description should classify this as horror but that is a too short shortcut, missing the point and the vibe of her writing.
Sometimes ironically funny, sometimes anything but that we read about feminism, racism, lost dreams and fears, the future and the past, blurred with surrealism and truths. Big recommendation!!
My top five (hard to pick): "The Intoxicated", "The Renegade", "After you, my dear Alphonse", Trial by combat" and the fantastic "The Witch". The well known "The Lottery" was a tiny disappointment to me but I freely admit that that was due to the hype around it and my therefor unreachable high expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lottery and Other Stories.