Sera's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, library, fantasy-magical-realism-fairytales
Read from February 05 to 06, 2012 , read count: 1

Beautiful story about a couple who move to the Alaskan wilderness in 1920, years after the loss of their child. Still grieving in their own ways, the couple build a little girl out of snow who may end being the one thing that gives them the will to continue with their lives in the new land and with each other.

There are many things to contemplate when reading this book, including the ability to understand how love and friendship can come from the most interesting of places.

I highly recommend this debut novel that used a Russian fairy tale as its inspiration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.

message 1: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan I really want to put it down as a "to read" but I can't handle books about bad things happening to children anymore. Your review is great though. Really makes me want to read it...

Sera I understand - nothing bad happens to children in this book so have no fear. I think that you would really like it. It also confirmed for me that I definitely never want to live in Alaska :)

message 3: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan I don't like thinking about losing my kid. That's all I'd do if I read it. I'd be constantly putting myself in the mom role.

Sera Here's some more insight, which isn't really a spoiler, but I'm hiding it anyway.

(view spoiler).

However, I understand why you might not want to still read it.

message 5: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan OOOHHHHH. Okay, then I can I read it. Thanks! :)

Sera I thought so - that's why I told you, because I figured it wasn't what you thought. It's really a beautiful book so I hope I haven't over-hyped it for you and that you enjoy it :)

message 7: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona This sounds good. Should I add it to my to-read list?? Got good reviews.